Joint Ventures in the Oil and Gas sector
Your definitive guide to maximising opportunities through successful partnerships in Africa
· Align your brand with key players within the oil & gas sector
· Gather leads and business opportunities
· Position yourself alongside leading brands
· Network and forge new partnerships
· Understand the industry trends and how to remain ahead of the curve
Kenya is on the cusp of significant and speedy development within the oil & gas sector. However, uncertainty exists within local companies and suppliers as to methods of market entry, navigating an immature regulatory environment and identifying associated risks and opportunities of such sector expansion.
New legislation is on the horizon to provide the much needed framework for expansion. However, this is causing confusion around levels of national control, equity split and local content prescriptions. The Petroleum Bill strongly recommends preference for Kenyan goods, services and employment. The best way to achieve the regulated demand for a high percentage of local content is through effective private sector joint ventures.
Overcoming the uncertainty within the private sector is key to encouraging successful joint ventures and uplifting the Kenyan oil & gas sector. Businesses need a sound foundation from which to form partnerships, as well as navigate policy and protect themselves in trade agreements.
This programme is the answer to addressing the concerns of the private sector. Course content will raise awareness on real issues surrounding joint ventures and how to practically prepare to mitigate associated risks, while making the most of the opportunities presented. Further to this, the course will support the private sector to confidently navigate these projects and maintain competitive edge.
Who should attend?
• Private sector companies looking to increase involvement in oil & gas related activities
• Public sector representatives and ministries
KEY CONSIDERATIONS IN OIL AND GAS JOINT VENTURE AGREEMENTS
Background – Setting the Scene
· The industry and key drivers
· Selecting the right partner
· Contractual structure and process
· Why Joint Ventures?
· Reasons for a Joint Operating Agreement
· Sharing risks and rewards
· Model form contracts
· Contractual and fiscal structures
· What is confidential information?
· Limitations and restrictions
· Return of information
· Right to disclose
Host Government – Obligations and Rights
· Political risks
· Sovereign immunity
· Land issues
· Currency and exchange rates
· Assistance, consents
· Local content requirements
· General Legal Issues
· Different legal systems
· International law
· Conflicting laws
· Environmental law
· Dispute Resolution
· Preliminary Agreements
· Letters of intent
· Side letters
· Tendering and inquiry package
DIFFERENT TYPES OF OIL AND GAS JOINT VENTURE AGREEMENTS
Area of Mutual Interest Agreement (AMI)
· Appointment of operator
· Cost sharing/Data exchange
· Agreed JOA
· Joint Bidding (Application) Agreements
· Purpose – difference to AMI
· Scope and duration
· Parties interests/Liabilities
· Management committee
· Evaluation, programme and budget
· License application procedure
KEY TACTICS FOR NEGOTIATING OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY JOINT VENTURES
Being an effective negotiator in the oil and gas industry
· Planning tools
· Options for objectives – Slicing or expanding the pie
· Creating value
· Identifying your objectives and strategy
· Strategy variables – BATNA and ZOPA
Practical Exercise: Negotiation simulation
Examine the key challenges and review new tactics in a negotiation simulation based on and Oil and Gas Joint Venture. This will generate constructive feedback to apply to your next negotiation.
WORKSHOP 1: Joint Operating Agreements
· Cost control and contracting
WORKSHOP 2: Joint Operating Agreements
· Boilerplate provisions
Topics Covered:Joint Ventures
Dates & Locations
This course is only available as a custom course tailored for your business, contact us to discuss your requirements.
Testimonials for our Courses
"The course was useful, it enhanced my understanding and knowledge regarding the different renewable energy technologies and processes to be followed in executing a renewable energy project"